Thursday 5 May 2011

Albatross film - Campaign video or Artwork?

I continued editing my film yesterday.  I have removed all the informative text. I have inserted lines from 'The Rime of the Ancient Mariner' to underline my message.




I am tweaking the length of some clips to make them more punchy. I have synchronised the industrial clips perfectly to the music.




I have been watching more wildlife documentaries on the Albatross. I have found some images which I consider to be more appealing.  Instead of the Albatross seeming remote in a far-off ocean, these were filmed landing and taking off from an island off Tazmania. The images of the Albatross are much closer and you can only look in awe at their size and complete grace with which they soar and float in the breeze. You can see their faces and you actually feel some connection with them. You certainly envy their flying ability.

These images contrast sharply with the images of the decaying Albatross corpses. How such a majestic creature can be reduced to a pile of bones, feathers and plastic due to our greed is shameful.









Over the six weeks I have been researching for and working on this film, I have been conscious of the point made in a tutorial.  Where do I position this film?  Is it a campaign film or is a piece of art in its own right?  I would like to address this issue. I think versions 1,2 and 3 were more educational in tone. That is why I have removed the text and tried to communicate the same message using strong images which speak for themselves.





If one defines Art as a personal interpretation of our culture in whichever form that takes, be it  photography, painting, dance, theatre or film, then my piece is very definitely in this category. It is also true that this film imparts information.  It questions the use of TV advertising.  It questions our selfish consumption.




I am using my film to communicate an environmental message in the hope that it will provoke some sort of response in the viewer that challenges them to modify their consumer habits, or at least question the way that society disposes of its waste.
I am taking an issue which is having a long-term devastating effect upon the world we all inhabit and opening up a dialogue.
Isn't it the role of the artist to stop us in our tracks and make us question why?
Unlike the scientist who is obliged to be objective, artistic licence allows me to use my emotional response to highlight a social issue.
Someone commented, 'First and foremost this film evokes a visceral emotional response which then engages the intellect.' This confirmed for me that I had achieved what I set out to do.  What sets my film apart from purely an environmental documentary is that I am using wildlife footage and environmental footage combined with poetry, all synchronised with orchestral music to convey my environmental message.

If my film has the desired effect then I don't mind how you categorise it.

No comments:

Post a Comment