Friday 17 June 2011

Degree Results Day!

I felt excited to go and collect my results. I expected a 2:2. I believed myself to be borderline 2:1 as I have made a significant improvement this year. It all depends on the way the marks are weighted. If they take the top 10 marks then I would get a 2:1 but if this years marks carried the most weight then it would be a high 2:2.  Whatever the outcome, I am really proud to have got to the end. Despite my ongoing cognitive disabilities due to two strokes, my recent broken leg and then the shock of the last-minute 'headphone' decision, I had completed the degree to the best of my ability.

I collected the brown envelope from Sean and went out to the other gathered students, some of whom had received their own results. I opened the envelope and couldn't read a thing, the print was so small. I asked Chris what it said, '2:1!'.  I had to put on my glasses to read it for myself. There it was in black and white - albeit small print. Vindicated!

We all congratulated each other.  We will all go off in our own directions now. I wish everyone well.

1 comment:

  1. "Whatever the outcome, I am really proud to have got to the end."

    I'm so glad to read that. I see that you got a 2:1, which is fantastic but it sounds like you would have been just as proud if it had been a 2:2 and I'm always glad to see that. My sister got a 2:2 and the way she was treated afterwards was disgusting. Everyone from careers advice to her classmates told her that she'd wasted her time, that no graduate jobs would be open to her, that all she could look forward to was a life of stacking shelves. (Clearly these people had a very nasty attitude towards shop staff too)

    But there's a certain delicious irony in the fact that she's one of the few in her class who found a graduate job that she's happy in. Related to her degree no less.

    ReplyDelete