Wednesday 23 March 2011

Marine pollution

Do you recycle your plastic? Do you make the effort to wash out those plastic milk bottles, cosmetic bottles, household cleaning product containers, plastic cutlery etc etc? Do you go to the trouble of putting them in the recycle bin to be collected every fortnight? You are a conscientious householder. Do you ever wonder where they all go after collection?
Would it shock you to know that a massive amount of what you send away for 'recycling' ends up in the stomachs of marine wildlife, causing digestive blockages, starvation and a slow death? I thought I was environmentally aware but my eyes have been opened to the horrors of marine pollution. I'm not just referring to the British coast but in every ocean of the world. I do not claim to be an eco-warrier, but I am an eco- worrier and I think we all need to be. It's all very well chucking stuff away but, ask yourself, where is away?

No comments:

Post a Comment