Saturday 23 April 2011

Feedback for Albatross film

It is always useful to have feedback about work from non-artists as well as artists.  They read it using the filters they have developed for their own professional field. I have welcomed the feedback I received from my tutors and fellow art students.  I asked two friends, Dr. Raynor Shaw a geologist recently returned from Hong Kong working for the Geological Survey and his wife, Janice a dietician for their comments.
Music and lyrics - strong, positive contribution to piece.
Visual images     - powerful, 'stomach churning'
                         - loved the swimmer/albatross image
Text                  - possibly more to explain links but reduced to one sentence
Ideas conveyed  - 'why do we produce so much waste?
                          - very few people ever see an albatross yet we touch upon its daily life
                          - we are seduced into buying 'life-enhancing' consumer products without question
                          - like inclusion of Ancient Mariner. Issue of redemption, atonement, punishment
Conclusion         - Several strands going on within film. Would want to watch it several times to catch all the nuances.  It does make you question personal consumer habits.
My comments    - I am pleased that the intended message was communicated. I acknowledge their comment about text and were this purely an educational film, this would be valid. However, as I am appealing to an artistic audience I want to offer the opportunity to draw your own conclusions. 'Less is more'.  I find it really fascinating to hear other peoples thoughts. No wonder film makers show their films to a trial audience to test their reaction.  This could be the difference between a blockbuster and a flop.
Raynor and Janice had to sing for their supper again last night. I played the Royal Philharmonic rendition of 'Under Pressure' as the backing track to my film. The overwhelming reaction was that I keep the Bowie/Queen version. It is stronger, punchier, more rythmic and they felt the lyrics contribute to the overall impact of the piece. Useful feedback.
Norma and Jim were my next critics. They commented that the film changes from beauty in the opening clips to horror when you see the landfill sites. They said that it is sad and frightening and it brings home to you how you only think of your little bit of rubbish, forgetting how it contributes to the bigger picture. They were stagggered by the sheer quantity of marine litter. They found the extent of mass consumption obscene.

No comments:

Post a Comment